Effectiveness of static stretching and active muscle relaxation techniques on calf muscle tightness in normal subjects
Corresponding Author(s) : VinothaDurai
International Journal of Allied Medical Sciences and Clinical Research,
Vol. 9 No. 2 (2021): 2021 Volume - 9 Issue - 2
To compare the effectiveness of static stretching and active muscle relaxation techniques on calf muscle tightness in normal subjects.
12 normal college going females with age group between 18to24 were randomly allocated in 2 groups. Group 1(n=6) were given static stretching technique and Group 2(n=6) were given active muscle relaxation technique. Ankle dorsiflexion range of motion was used to measure the calf muscle tightness which was done before and after the treatment. Treatment was given in 3 sessions per week and the calf muscle tightness was again measured after the termination of treatment session.
The result of this study was analyzed in terms of gain in range of motion in both group-A and B subjects. In both groups values of ankle dorsiflexion range (degree) shows that the mean range of motion during post test is higher than pre test after the application of static stretching and muscle energy techniques. When comparing the two groups there is no significant difference in means (p≥0.05).
The result of this study concludes that both muscle energy technique and static stretching are equally effective as there is no significant difference between the improvements in range of motion between the two groups.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
2. Muscle stretching in manual therapy, A clinical manual- The extremities-5th edition.
3. PHIL ARMIGER MPT, MICHAEL MARTYN- stretching for functional flexibility-LWW (2009).
4. Stretching anatomy, ARNOLD G.NELSON, JOUKO KOKKONEN.
5. OSCAR MORAN & ISABEL ARECHABALA (illustrated) stretching exercises encyclopedia.
6. Stretching- Anderson bob-1
7. COROLYN KISNER. LYNN ALLEN COLBY. Therapeutic exercise 5th edition. Foundation and techniques. Chapter-4.
8. LORI BRODY, CARRIE M. HALL, Therapeutic exercise -moving toward function (Third edition).
9. LEON CHAITOW, CRAIG LIEBSON, muscle energy techniques (Third edition).
10. O’Hora J et al. Efficacy of cyclic stretching and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretch on calf length. J strength Cond Res.
11. James W. Youdas, PT, MS .David A. Krause, PT, MBA, OCS. Kathleen S. Egan, MPhil .Teuy M. Themeau, PhD. Edward R. Laskowski, MD. The effect of static stretching of the calf muscle tendon unit on active ankle dorsiflexion range of motion.
12. ANDREW CORNWELL. ARNOLD G. NELSON. BEN SIDEWAY. Acute effects of stretching on the neuromechanical of the triceps surea muscle complex.
13. The time course of musculoskeletal stiffness responses following different durations of passive stretching. Journal of orthopaedics& sports physical therapy.
14. RODNEY POPE, ROB HERBERT, JOHN KIRWAN. Effect of ankle dorsiflexion range and pre-exercise calf muscle stretching on injury in army recruits.
15. Current concepts in muscle stretching for exercise and rehabilitation.(Indian journal of sports& physical therapy).
16. Effect of muscle energy technique on hamstrings and calf muscle in sprinting performance& sprinters (International journal of physiotherapy).
17. Comparative effectiveness of static stretching and muscle energy technique on hamstring flexibility in normal Indian college males (Indian journal of physiotherapy and occupational).
18. Effects of muscle energy techniques and static stretching on hamstring flexibility in healthy male subjects (Indian journal of physiotherapy and occupational).
19. Effectiveness of PNF stretching and cyclic stretching of calf tightness on college going girls (Indian journal of physical therapy).
20. J A Radford et al. Does stretching increase ankle dorsiflexion range of motion? A systematic review and concluded that calf muscle stretching provides a small and statistically significant increase in ankle dorsiflexion. Joel Br J Sports med.2006.